Wednesday, December 5, 2012

ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTAINS (22)

   "Well, all is not lost, I have a quarter," Edie said as she and Alice laughed.
   "You have a good sense of humor, Edie. You're Okay.  We probably could become good friends if you lived here."
   "I'm sure we could, but there is one thing."
   "What's that, kiddo?"
   "No, there's two things. Number one, don't call me kiddo and number two I'm not deaf or blind so you don't have to get down in my face to talk to me.  I'm a double amputee. That goes for you, too, Melvin. Everyone does that. They think because I don't have legs, I can't hear or see or even worse they ignore me like I'm retarded. Edie was smiling and saying this in a joking manner (even if it was the truth) so Alice and Melvin wouldn't be offended. But how many times was she offended? Children staring and pointing is understood but adults can sometimes be painful as a pain in the neck. "Oh God bless them. They don't know any better, either. It's something I'll have to get used to and just live with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment