Thursday, December 6, 2012

ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTAINS (23)

   The cab pulled up front of a very cute gift shop.
   "This is it. Stop!" Edie was so excited. This was her old friend's gift shop, Mrs. Johnson. Mrs. Johnson was in her fifties and also a double amputee. Her amputation was due to diabetes. 
    "Edie, it's so good to see you. Come one in," Mrs. Johnson said when she reached in the cab to hug her.
   "I can't. I don't have my wheelchair. It's a long story. Melvin and his wife, Alice, carried me into the restaurant but I don't want him to carry me again. Alice told me he had back surgery a month ago. Melvin, I could shoot you for not telling me."
   "My friend is here. I'll get him to get you. And this must be Susan. The last time I saw you I think you were four, am I right?" Mrs. Johnson hugged Susan. 
    Susan was thinking that Mrs. Johnson is like mommy. I wonder if there are more people like them? Or are they the only two in the world. Was Mrs. Johnson in a fire and if every one is in a fire do they lose their legs? So many questions. I'll ask mommy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment