Monday, December 17, 2012

ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTAINS (30)

    Hotels in the 40's had one full bed, a small closet, a small sink, dresser, night stand, table and chair, no air conditioning, the toilet was in a small room between two bedrooms with doors that locked on the inside (sinks in bedrooms), bathing room at the end of hall on each floor with tub and shower (A person had to sign for when they wanted to take a shower or bath) (this was the average hotels, not the very expensive ones). One more thing, the heating was a radiator in each room (steam heat?) I think.
    Frank left them at the door after giving Edie a twenty dollar bill. She thanked him. And after weak hugs were passed between the three of them, they said goodbye.
    As soon as the door was closed, Susan said, "Mommy, I don't like him."
   "Well, Susan, he's your grandfather, you're supposed to like him, so try." I hate him, Edie thought to herself. All the years growing up and all the misery he caused my mother and me. I'll never forget how he treated us. Susan was sound asleep while Edie's thoughts went back to her childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment