Thursday, November 15, 2012

ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTAINS (11)

   "What are you doing, Edie?"
   "Harry, I told you what was going on at the farm with my brother. Well, Susan and I are leaving."
   "And you two walked all this way from your place?"
   "Yes, we did. Mud and all," Edie said proudly.
   "You get a lot of rain up your way last night?"
   "We didn't get much."
   "It came down in buckets. And lightning. I wanted to leave last night but Susan said she was afraid."
   "What? You crazy woman. In a storm! At night."
   "I'm desperate."
   "Well, your cab will be here in about an hour. So make yourselves at home. Mabel, get them something to eat."
   "I will," Mable said as she stood quickly.
   "Well, good luck and God bless you but I got work to do. Susan, take care of your mama. And you be a good girl, ya hear?"

1 comment: