Wednesday, November 28, 2012

ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTAINS (17)

"Oh, my God!  He's coming up the drive-way!" Edie yelled in fright.  "Harry, help me get my sewing machine in!"

"It won't fit in the back seat, and what about your chair?" the driver asked.

Just then, Bill drove right by the cab as Edie told Susan to get down on the floor as she did the same.  Bill was going down the bottom of the hill to turn around.

Edie was really scared and was talking fast.

"Forget everything!  Just get us out of here before my brother gets back up the hill, PLEASE!"

The driver jumped into the cab, Mable pulled the wheelchair and sewing machine away from the cab and the the driver turned the cab around as quickly as he could being in a tight drive-way.

Edie looked at Mable holding her sewing machine. ('My means for making a living and my chair!')  Tears rolled down her face.  But more importantly, they had to get out of there and quick.

"Driver, drive as fast as you can!"

She held Susan.  The child was so afraid she was crying uncontrollably.

"Susan, please stop that crying."

"Mommy, I can't.  I wet my pants."

('Oh, the poor kid!  All I could think about was us getting away and with Bill catching us and how stressed out I felt, forgetting how all this is affecting Susan.'  Edie thought.)

"Stay down in the seat. You'll have to wear a pair of panties in the knitting bag.  I know they're still wet, but, not as wet as what you are wearing."

As Edie was helping Susan change, she looked out the back window and she didn't see her brother.  He couldn't keep up with the newer cab.

"Sir, you can slow down now. You've lost him." This was a good thing as the cab driver was in a sweat.

"Ma'am, where do you want to go?" asked the driver.

"Oh, I thought I told you.  To your office."

Edie hugged Susan and combed her hair.

"We're on our way now." Edie said, smiling.

"Where Mommy?"

"It'll be a surprise."

Edie didn't exactly know herself.  She had a friend in Philadelphia that they would stop in to see.  Maybe then she'd know what to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment